Water Pumping Station – commemorative stone

During the planning stage for the new North Wokingham Distributor Road (NWDR), Emmbrook Residents Association (ERA) highlighted that the works would impact on the site of an historic marker for the “Wokingham District Water Company Pumping Station” located on Toutley Road, adjacent to Ashridge Stream and Toutley Industrial Estate.

At the request of the ERA, the developers have re-sited the stone tablet to the side of the new NWDR, on Toutley Road between the scout hut and the new bridge over the Ashridge Stream.

“This commemorative stone tablet was originally
sited on the Wokingham District Water Company
Pumping Station some 15 metres to the East of here.
Thomas Manley WESTCOTT (1830 – 1916) was Vice Chairman
and Managing Director, also holding the post of
Mayor of Wokingham in 1885, 1886 and 1899.
This tablet was re-erected here at the request of the 
Emmbrook Residents Association.”